Chelmsford Historical Society
Historic Places

If you are visiting our town, make sure to visit some of our historic landmarks. If you have a picture of an historical site you would like to share, please contact chelmhist@gmail.com to discuss scanning or donation of hardcopy, or e-mail high resolution electronic files directly to the webmaster.

Barrett-Byam Sign The Barrett-Byam Homestead is the home of the Chelmsford Historical Society and is located about 1.2 miles west from Chelmsford Center on Route 27, Acton Rd. One mile from the center, start looking for the Barrett-Byam Homestead sign on your right at Byam Road. Proceed on Byam Road a quarter of a mile to the homestead on your left.

Barrett-Byam House We are open by appointment and during special events. See our calendar for a list of scheduled events. To see these and other historical locations and houses throughout the Town, see the Chelmsford Historical Commission website.

Forefathers Cemetery The Forefathers Burying Ground is located in Chelmsford center, behind the First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church originally known as the Church of Christ in Chelmsford. It was originally Congregational in denomination, as the Rev. John Fiske favored the Cambridge Platform. The official and legal name of the society is now the First Congregational Society (Unitarian) of Chelmsford. The town was named after Chelmsford in Essex County, England, which derived its name from the River Chelmer on which it is located.

The Revolutionary War Memorial is just across the street. This native granite memorial, designed by architect Greely S. Curtis of Boston, was dedicated May 2, 1859 to the Revolutionary soldiers of Chelmsford. The cost for building and erected the Chelmsford monument was $1627.38. An ash tree stands nearby the memorial, under which the "Chelmsford patriots" met to discuss important town issues as early as 1775 in the time that tried men's souls. The memorial is twenty-seven feet tall, with a thirty-foot terrace, with a shaft four feet in diameter. There was a hollow somewhere in this tree into which money was placed for the use of soldiers who were about to enlist in their country's service.

North Side

Erected
1859
Let the children Guard
What the sires have won.

East Side

Lt. Col. Moses Parker
and
Capt. Benj. Walker
wounded at Bunker Hill
June 17, 75
Died prisoners in Boston
July 4 & Augt. 75
Lt. Robt. Spalding
Died at Milford Ct. 76

Revolutionary War Monument

Courtesy Harry Taplin

South Side

In Honor
of the
Townsmen of Chelmsford
who served their Country
in the
War of the Revolution
This monument is erected
by a
Grateful Posterity

West Side

John Bates
Died in army in Cambridge
David Spalding Jr.
Died in army at Ticonderoga
Pelatiah Adams
Killed at Cherry Valley
Noah Foster
Shot at Capture of Burgoyne
Henry Fletcher
Killed at White Plains

Fiske House The Spalding/Fiske house in Central square, Chelmsford, MA, was built in 1798 by Simeon Spalding. The present house occupies the site of an earlier building owned an occupied by major John Minot, when the homestead contained but four acres, including the public square in front of the present house. In 1784, John Minot deeded about one-half an acre with the buildings thereon, just south of the present house, to his son-in-law, William Bridge (son of the Rev. Ebenezer Bridge, fourth minister of the town), who had married his daughter Rachel. The old well may be seen on the lower Terrace.

A barn once stood where the road now runs between this lot and the square, and remained some time after the road was laid out in 1829, so that it was necessary to drive around or through it, in going that way. In 1784 Minot also sold his own place to Elijah Proctor. The next year, Proctor sold to Simeon Spalding, who added six acres to the farm and in 1798 built the dignified Colonial home. But in 1807 he was obliged to mortgage the place, and in 1812 sold it to Azariah Spaulding and Joseph Bailey. In 1818, Simeon Spaulding re-purchases the place and kept it until 1830, when he sold to Mathias Spalding. within three years it was owned by William Fletcher, John Foster and Joel Adams, whose grandson, Captain C. E. A. Bartlett was born there. In five years the house had another owner, Thomas Moore, and it became a tavern, known as the LaFayette House, where in the spring of 1839, Mr. and Mrs. John Minot Fiske of Boston and their three sons came in search of a country home, thinking to buy the old house which had belonged to Parson Bridge, Mr. Fiske’s great-grandfather. But his wife took a fancy for the tavern, which was bought by Mr. Fiske in April, 1839 and has since remained in the family. The tasteful and delicate looking through well made fence in front of the house, the late John Minot Fiske told the writer, was built in that year. The lower northwest room contained the bar, which with its furnishings are still in the house.

Garrison House The Old Garrison House, designated as a National Historical Place, is located at 105 Garrison St, Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This structure was one of 19 British garrisons in Chelmsford in 1691.

Garrison House from below "It is a rare example of where and how the common man and his family lived in the early days. Inside, the house is furnished with beautiful antique furniture and dishes, clothes, cooking equipment, and many other items which a family would have used in their everyday life. The buttery contains a really interesting display of early dairy equipment." - Garrison House web site. The Garrison House was formerly owned and occupied by Benjamin Haywood. It was built in 1692 and was said to have been purchased by Benjamin from Thomas Adams in 1726. Pictures were taken by A. I. Emerson.

This picture was taken looking up from below the Haywood house Miss Haywood appears in the photo in the white dress.

Copyright 1997-2017. All rights reserved.
This website is maintained by Chelmsford Historical Society members. To comment, or report broken links, e-mail webmaster